Cheers!

Cheers!

Friday, November 16, 2012

Tea Cup Thursday

This is not exactly a tea cup, it is a Wemyss Goblet. It is quite rare. It is a limited edition of 500. The first one was reserved for the late Queen Mother and the 500th was auctioned for the benefit of the National Trust for Scotland. Wemyss ware was the brainchild of Robert Heron, the owner of Fife Pottery in Scotland.  He brought back a Bohemian artist named Karel Nekola who painted in this bold manner. It became a favorite of Miss Doris Wemyss of Wemyss Castle. In 1980, to commemorate the centenary of Wemyss and the birthday of the late Queen Mother, this exclusive edition was made. This continued the tradition of marking Royal occasions. I've heard the Prince Charles himself has an extensive collection of Wemyss goblets!

The ribbons say " To honour Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and mark  the Wemyss centenary.

The loose style of painting is just lovely. This goblet was designed by Alan Carr Linford. Pictured behind the ribbon on the bottom are a pair of leeks. This is the first time I have seen leeks included in the midst of roses, thistles and shamrocks. Do you think they represent Wales?

You can see the green tails of the leeks

There are acorns too.

As you can see, my goblet is numbered 114. Royal Doulton now owns Wemyss Ware.This is truly a star in my collection.

11 comments:

Cynthia said...

I love this cup it is so different. Very pretty.

Cynthia

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

This is lovely and a real treasure! My Giveaway arrived; thank you so much. I will be putting it to good use. Have a lovely weekend and Happy Thanksgiving.

Blessings,
Sandi

Ruthie Miller said...

Lady B, this is Really Gorgeous!!! Love hearing the story behind it too. Love the painting and colors and how vibrant it is. It is a Wow.

Lady Linda said...

This is an amazing piece! How lovely. Thanks for sharing this beauty.

The Teaist said...

I learnt something new - never knew about these cups. Do you use this goblet for tea or hot drinks?

Lady B and Dame Ruthie said...

Actually I use it as a vase with big pink roses!!!

Tea in Texas said...

Absolutely lovely Goblet! The opportunity to own this beauty is so fortunate and to then share the history and photos is so kind. The hand painting and design is wonderful. Thanks for your thoughtful comments and visiting my blog.

Thanks, Pam

Barby said...

It's an exquisite goblet and wonderfully painted with roses. What a treasure, and so appropriate that you use it as a vase for real pink roses.
It was very nice to learn the history of Wemyss ware.

Angela McRae said...

What fascinating information! I just love learning about something new, and this was certainly new to me!

Antiques And Teacups said...

Wonderful! I just saw this post. It is a neat piece. Weymess is most known for their pigs! The leeks do stand for Wales, they use leeks or daffodils, but mostly the daffs. Great cup!
Ruth

steve Porter said...

I have a matching goblet also my one is number 252 I love it got it from my granny
Steve Porter
Scotland
happy new year