Cheers!

Cheers!

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Tea Cup Thursday - Apple Blossom Time


Truly one of my favorite chintz tea cups. The pattern is Apple Blossom and is is made by the Kent company in Longton, England. The flowers are so pretty, a real harbinger of Spring. Even the handle is strewn with blossoms. I got this and the following pieces of chintz at an antiques mall. Dame Ruthie and I swooned over the fact that they were all 50% off! Can you imagine? So I had my heart set on a little tray,one-person tea pot, matching cup and miniature toast rack. The tag said $179.  (or so I thought, not having my glasses on) so I did quick calculations in my head and figured I could buy this charming set for @ $90.00  A bit pricey but I really loved it. When I got to the check-out the salesgirl said she would put an even $1,000. on my card. Stammering, I said please explain your type of math as opposed to my type. She explained that the price tag read $1,790.00 which,adding sales tax came to $2,000.00 So of course 50% of that would be $1,000. Many thoughts ran through my head not the least of how can I sneak this home without my husband's knowledge? The saleslady was so nice. She took me back to the sale and I came home with three treasures all of which did not add up to $90.

7 comments:

Barby said...

Chintz 'Apple Blossom' is a real beauty!
A shocking price tag for your heart's desire, Lady B,..oh dear!
Nevertheless, your new pieces are simply stunning! :)

lady jicky said...

I love anything with apple blossom on it !

Royal Doulton make a lovely cup, saucer and plate with apple blossom on it - which I do have.

I always buy trio's - I do love to have that plate too :)

Ruthie Miller said...

I'LL BE WITH YOU IN BLOSSOM TIME

I'm writing you, my dear,
Just to tell you,
In September, you remember
'Neath the old apple tree
You whispered to me
When it blossomed again, you'd be mine.

I've waited until I could claim you,
I hope I've not waited in vain.
For when it's spring in the valley,
I'm coming, my sweetheart, again!

I'll be with you in apple blossom time,
I'll be with you to change your name to mine.

One day in May
I'll come and say:
"Happy the bride the sun shines on today!"

What a wonderful wedding there will be,
What a wonderful day for you and me!
Church bells will chime
You will be mine
In apple blossom time.

I'll be with you in apple blossom time,
I'll be with you to change your name to mine.

One day in May
I'll come and say:
"Happy the bride the sun shines on today!"

What a wonderful wedding there will be,
What a wonderful day for you and me!
Church bells will chime
You will be mine
In apple blossom time.

Barby said...

I'm a May bride, and I love every word, Ruthie. :)
Apple blossom time and romance...the perfect combination. <3

Catherine Rogers said...

Who can put a price tag on all things beautiful? (I love the story)And I assume you are still happily married. Wonderful!

Catherine Rogers said...

Ruthie, love the Apple Blossom Time poem!

Ruthie Miller said...

Catie, it is a song. The Andrews Sisters sang it and I am sure many others. I bet you know it.